welcome

wonder what new things baby pix has to offer? want a peek from recent photo sessions? need some photography tips for your next special occasion? looking for an excuse to put off doing laundry just a little bit longer? then please, sit down, put your feet up, declare "mommy recess time" and explore the blog.
want to see more? check out the baby pix photography website.
_______________________________________________________________________________

Healthy Alfredo!

Monday, March 8, 2010

I love food! I love fresh, flavorful food. I admit I love butter - I buy it in bulk! Most things I cook are all natural without perservatives, but I don't watch the fat content. I figure I can exercise the fat away, but the perservatives stick with you.

Anyway, I found this new recipe by Rocco DeSpirito. It is an alfredo sauce that only uses a tablespoon of butter! Trust me; I was sceptical, but it turned out awesome!!! You have to give it a try.


healthy alfredo 
1 TBSP butter
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp constarch
Pinch of ground nutmeg
3/4 cup low-fat, low-sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
3/4 cup 5% Greek yogurt
Salt and freshly ground black pepper


Cooking Directions:
Melt the butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until it is fragrant, about 2 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the cornstarch and nutmeg in a small bowl. Whisk in the chicken broth until smooth. Pour the mixture into the saute pan, raise the heat, and bring the sauce to a simmer, whisking occasionally. Whisk in 1/2 cup of the cheese until it has melted. (I found it very lumpy, but don't worry. It melts when you add hot pasta.) Remove the saute pan from the heat and whisk in the yogurt until the sauce is smooth.

To the sauce, I added a box of cooked bowtie pasta, chopped grill chicken (salt, pepper and olive oil) and about 2 handfulls of fresh spinach. Mix well - the lumpy cheese will melt. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Top the pasta with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese, and serve.
Serves 4.

The stats below are the sauce with an 8 oz box of cooked whole wheat fettuccine and sauce.
Before: 75 g fat, 1,220 calories
After: 10.4 g fat, 336 calories
Protein: 18 g
Carbohydrates: 47 g
Cholesterol: 27 mg
Fiber: 5 g
Sodium: 745 mg

share this on::
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Digg
Add a comment »

This entry was posted on Monday, March 8, 2010 and is filed under ,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply

Search This Blog